Pages

Saturday 15 June 2013

Album Review: Studio Killers - Studio Killers


Incredible, virtual, dance-pop collective Studio Killers have just released their self-titled debut album! Yay!

As I mentioned on tuesday, their 4th single 'Jenny' is extremely good! As I also loved their 1st and 3rd singles, "Ode to the Bouncer" and "All Men Are Pigs", I was hoping for lots more amazingness on the rest of the album. 


Unfortunately after several listens there was only one other song that really stood out for me. So in this review, I'm going to focus on the 4 best songs!

"Ode to the Bouncer", the first song, is terrific. It's huge and brilliant, with a soaring, tropical, Ibiza-ready chorus and a production which brings to mind a sense of euphoria and rainbows. 


Verses are speak-sung over bubbling beats and the lyrics are literally hilarious (as are most on this record!) The song really is an ode to a bouncer, who won't let the singer into a club ... "Ooh, let me in or I'll get physical with you, I just gotta dance right now, it's critical to do".



Next up is "All Men Are Pigs", which is brilliantly brash and unapologetic, aswell as downright hilarious! Not to mention, it's pure pop brilliance, with an endlessly catchy chorus hook and even the verses are completely addictive.

My logic will prevail
So shut up, nightingale
This is no fairytale: every single male
that I've met 'till this day had a curly tail          = incredible! 




We have already discussed the flawless Jenny, so without further ado, let's discuss the highlight of my album listen ... "Friday Night Gurus"!

It's perfection and exactly what I was hoping to find on this record. The song is written in praise and adoration of DJ's and the poetic lyrics are so amazing, that I need to post them here!
All the oldies and the goldies playing on the radio
They don't make me feel the way you do
My Friday night gurus
You're the Obi-Wan Kenobis with the force of audio
I believe in all your fantasies as silly as they seem
You're from another world
Production is thumping and dynamic, ebbing and flowing beautifully between verses and chorus.

I'm being too critical, I think, of the 7 remaining tracks. They're mostly very good and the production and lyrics are consistently awesome, but some just sound too samey (Eros and Apollo) ... and others are just a little bland for my taste (Flawless/True Colours etc.) 

"In Tokyo" and "Funky at Heart" are quite fun, but don't really offer anything unique or exciting and are ultimately very forgettable.

All things considered, this album has some utterly brilliant moments, but also some quite disappointing tracks. The lyrics, which are for the most part so refreshing and quirky, plus the  excellent production, kind of make up for the lack of consistent song writing in my opinion.

For those reasons I'm giving "Studio Killers" a very solid


7.5/10

Comment with your opinions guys, what do you think?

You can buy "Studio Killers" here if you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment