Pages

Sunday 9 June 2013

Song Review: Stromae - Papaoutai


So this is my very first review for you guys, it's amazing Belgian singer Stromae's new single!

I am absolutely in love with this song at the moment. From the gentle, piano (almost harpsichord-like) opening, the song explodes into a passionate, energetic, at times frantic ode to absent fathers. 

The aggressively-building verses lead to the incredible chorus which repeats the words "Where are you Papa?" over a stomping beat. Twinkling guitar(??) riffs are interspersed throughout the song and add a magical quality, which I love! 

Stromae mixes it up, giving us rappy speak-singing in the verses and fluttering vocals in the chorus. It's a fantastic contrast, similar to the tension and release found in Gaga's thundering Judas, which has similar climaxes ! I live for those euphoric moments in pop and this song has those in bucket loads. 

Production is flawless with lovely flourishes here and there and nothing too over the top.. (I particularly love that catchy post-chorus synth hook!)

Stromae's father was apparently non-present in his life so it's possibly a personal reflection, aswell as a general message. Interestingly, the subtle African flavour of the chorus may echoe Stromae's African roots, as his father is from Rwanda!

'Papaoutai' is sung in French and from what I can translate, he's speaking from both a child's and an adult perspective about the responsibilities fathers have to their children! 

I adore French (and Belgian) pop music and this is just a perfect summer song ...and it has great lyrics too!

9/10

Tell me what you think of this song in the comments and I'll be back soon for more reviews :D


(The video is amazing too! It really captures the whole magical vibe that I get from this song!)

'Papaoutai' was released on the 13th May 2013 // MORE INFO HERE

2 comments: